Schedule a Test
Pre-requisites for Scheduling a Test
Before scheduling a test, you will need to complete a few forms. Please click on the links below to download a .pdf file and bring the completed forms with you to your appointment:
- Form 1 – AHA/ACSM Questionnaire
- Form 2 – PAR-Q
- Form 3 – Informed Consent
If you already have a personal coach or trainer, we invite them to attend the test and observe the process. We can even create custom training zones based on the preferences of your coach. We have a designated room for you and your coach to sit down and discuss the results. Feel free to give us a call if you would like your personal coach or trainer involved in the testing process.
Preparing for Your Test
VO2 Max – Power/HR Threshold Test
If you are having a VO2 Max Power/HR Threshold test, then it is important to follow the instructions below:
- Please come rested! Do not exercise the day before the test; or at the very minimum, only do a recovery workout (i.e. very light spinning on the bike); no exercise the day of the test
- Come prepared with what you would normally wear to workout (i.e. cyclists should wear their kit and cycling shoes; runners wear shorts and running shoes)
- Eat 2-3 hours prior to testing; drink as much water as you need to be hydrated
- For cycling test, bring your own bike, shoes and your power meter/HRM if you own one
- Feel free to bring training logs, racing calendars and any previous metabolic metrics/VO2 data
Resting Metabolic Rate Test
If you are having a Resting Metabolic Rate test, then please follow the instructions below:
- Absolutely no exercise day of test; very light to no exercise the day prior
- Limit alcohol consumption the night before and no stimulants the day of test (i.e. coffee, Sudafed, Ephedrine, etc…)
- Come in as relaxed as possible!!!
If you are following up the RMR test with a VO2 Max – Power/HR Threshold test, then follow the instructions for that test as well.
Fitness Tests Offered
The following fitness tests are performed by Saul Blau of Power to the Pedals, LLC.
Resting Metabolic Rate Test (RMR)
This test is for anyone interested in a metabolic baseline, weight loss, or lifestyle weight loss management program that will work. The test is performed sitting comfortably in a chair breathing normally.
The RMR Test includes:
- Body composition measurement
20 minuteRMR analysis
- Caloric baseline (Basal Metabolic function) – the precise number of calories your body needs to maintain its basic functions at rest
- Caloric intake recommendations
Cost: $75 (Follow Up Tests within 1 Year – $65)
The VO2 Max – Power/HR Threshold Test Example Report:
Check it Out!
Sample VO2 Report
This test is for anyone who wants to train more scientifically through the use of heart-rate or power-based training zones. Whether you are an elite athlete or simply getting active again, this test will determine your body’s own unique metabolic profile so that you can establish the proper training zones for your current fitness level. The test can be performed on a treadmill or your own bike.
The VO2 Max – Power/HR Threshold Test Includes:
- Body composition measurement
- Peak VO2, Power, and Heart Rate (Note: for some individuals, especially those who have not been exercising regularly, a Sub-VO2max test will be performed and peak numbers will be estimated)
- Anaerobic/Lactate Threshold Heart Rate and Functional Threshold Power
- Seven Training Zones for Heart Rate and Power Output (Watts)
- Calories burned per hour in each zone
- Consultation on test results
- (Power data applies only to bike test, not treadmill test)
Cost: $199 (Follow Up Tests within 1 Year – $175)
$135 (Juniors Age 17 & Under)
Group Discounts Available
Group discounts are available to groups of 3 or larger.
Mobile On-Site Testing Available
For race teams and clubs.
Contact us for details (714) 270-1320.
Multi-Sport VO2 Max – Power/HR Threshold Test
This test is geared towards the triathlete who wants to know his/her own unique metabolic profile in both running and cycling so that training zones can be established in each discipline. One test is performed on the treadmill and another on the individual’s own bike, with a significant recovery period between tests.
The Multi-Sport VO2max – Power/HR Threshold Test includes:
- Body composition measurement
- Peak VO2 and Heart Rate for running
- Peak VO2, Heart Rate and Power for cycling
- Anaerobic Threshold Heart Rate for running
- Anaerobic Threshold Heart Rate and Functional Threshold Power for Cycling
- Eight HR Training Zones for running
- Eight HR & Power Training Zones for cycling
- Calories burned per hour in each zone for each sport
- Brief consultation on test results
Cost: $275 (Follow up Tests within 1 Year – $225)
Treadmill and Bike Bundle – VO2 Max – Power/HR Threshold Test
Now What? Interpreting Your Test Results
Once you have finished the test, you will now have a good indicator of your current level of fitness, as well as your strengths and weaknesses as an athlete. The next step in the process is using these measurements to help you achieve your goals. Our clients typically fall into one of the following categories:
Self Coach/Train – If you self coach and train, we would highly recommend following a book such as”The Cyclist’s Training Bible” or “The Triathlete’s Training Bible” by Joe Friel or “Training and Racing with a Power Meter” by Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan, PhD. Your training zones are now already established and you can get started on your training plan today!
Already Have a Coach/Trainer – If you already have a coach, they may have attended the test and observed the process. They may have even provided input into the development of your particular training zones. We have a designated consultation room for you to sit down with your coach to discuss the results of your test and create a training plan.
Looking for a Coach/Trainer – If you are ready to take your training to the next level and work with a coach, we have a couple of options for you. P2P has affiliated with Barrett Brauer of Flowform Endurance Coaching. Barrett is a USA Cycling and USA Triathlon certified coach with over 18 years of competitive experience in endurance sports including road racing, triathlon and running. To learn more about Flowform’s coaching packages, please click here.Fortunately, Southern California is home to many outstanding cycling and triathlon coaches. We have relationships with a lot of these coaches and can refer you to various ones, depending on who we think might be a good fit for you.
Should you have any questions about the tests, the testing process or coaching in general, please don’t hesitate to contact us or call us at 949-752-2080. We’re here to answer all your questions.
Performance Studio Combination Packages:
To take advantage of any of the combination packages below, you may make a reservation separately for each service (back to back appointments may or may not be available) or call the shop to arrange a day in which the services can be performed back to back.
Combo – VO2 Max – Power/HR Threshold Test AND Retul Fit
A proper fit can help you increase your Functional Threshold Power on the bike!
Combo – VO2 Max – Power/HR Threshold Test AND One Month of Level III Coaching
Combine the power of knowing your body’s current metabolic profile with the training knowledge to help you achieve your goals.
Combo – All Three! – VO2 Max – Power/HR Threshold Test, Retul Fit AND One Month of Level III Coaching
If you are serious about reaching your fitness or sport-specific goals, then you should be training in specific heart rate or power zones according to a plan.
The only way to know your training zones is to be tested!